"McPalin" & new school year

Sorry about the influx of political posts. I assure you I will be talking about something else later in this post. So how about McCain's surprising pick for VP? Like many people, my initial reaction was: "Who the hell is she?" Gradually, we're starting to learn more about her. Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska is 44 years old, has been Governor since December 2006, and before that, she was mayor of Wasilla, a town of 7,000 outside of Anchorage. She is married with 5 children, the oldest of which will be heading to Iraq shortly, and the youngest born with down syndrome in April. Supporters say Gov. Palin has brought a lot of reform to Alaska and has defied "politics as usual". Also, she can easily connect to ordinary working-class Americans. Opponents say she's too inexperienced and lacks the political credentials to be vice president. Because of this, she has no foreign policy experience and is so far removed from the ways of Washington, which obviously concerns many voters. Needless to say, it's an interesting choice, and as always, some people are nodding in agreement, while others are shaking their heads. We are now a little more than 2 months away from Election Day, so the drama will definitely kick up a notch. There will be the debates and the candidates' final push in the battleground states. Bad news for the RNC: the convention will be very low-key due to the ongoing situation with Hurricane Gustav. Many politicians will not be attending, including Bush and Cheney. They will be touring the Gulf Coast to survey the damage these next few days. The hurricane is the big news story today. So far, the news reports are saying the damage is not as bad as expected, which is a relief. Lessons learned from Hurricane Katrina 3 years ago have helped the Gulf Coast be better prepared for this.
For me, school started on Thursday. It was an OK first day, just OK. Unfortunately, none of my friends are in my lunch period, and I either don't get along with or don't really know the people in my classes. Figures, since I'm not like the typical teenager, which always impedes in getting along with people at school. Blerg...but I'm used to it. As usual, the new freshmen are obnoxious, but we were probably like that back then. All my teachers seem reasonable so far, but it's only been 2 days. No stress yet, but with college on the horizon, plus a heavy workload of honors classes and extracurricular activities, it's going to be a tough year once again. I'm enjoying the 3-day weekend. I finally got around to watching Atonement the other day. It was a good, but not spectacular, movie in my opinion. The things that truly stood out were the stunning tracking shot when Robbie (James McAvoy, who is very attractive, I must admit) arrives at Dunkirk amongst all the soldiers on the beach and the haunting score. The story was good, and I'm interested in reading the novel.
Random: Michael Phelps is hosting SNL's season premiere on September 13! Looking forward to the new season. Sorry this post is so jumbled; I guess I just have a lot to talk about, partly due to the fact that I'm interested in so many things.

8 comments:

Zany said...

Good luck with school.

I believe Palin is an excellent choice from the Republican point of view. She has strong conservative values, and she might be able to attract Hillary supporters. However, her stance on abortion and gay-marriage might work against her.

I am anxiously waiting for SNL premiere. I wonder what they are gonna make Amy Poehler do, now that Hillary is gone.

changetheworld360 said...

We'll just have to see what she ends up doing. But apparently, she's probably leaving the show after the election: one, b/c she's pregnant, and two, she was offered a role in a new NBC comedy series.

Anonymous said...

i hope your classes get better -- the first few days are always a bit difficult when you have different people in all your classes. and lunch is scary. that's the part that i'm worried about.

and atonement was really good. at the end, i felt like i knew it all along, but i was still surprised. and yea.. mmm. james mcavoy. have you seen him in becoming jane? woow.

changetheworld360 said...

yes, the ending was interesting. I guess I didn't properly explain my thoughts. I mean, I really liked the film, but it wasn't like a "AHH, IT WAS AMAZING!" reaction, you know.

Maria Sondule said...

Sorry for not reading this until now... I don't really have a good excuse except I was worrying about relationship stuff. Grr to relationships.

Anyway, I think Palin was very strategic and will get McCain a lot of votes that would've gone to Hillary.
James McAvroy, handsome? Wow, I've never heard you say you think a movie star is handsome before.
Really?
I kind of like Leo D and Christian Bale better....
Sorry for obsessing about this. Just... you, saying a movie star is handsome. Hum.

changetheworld360 said...

Oh come on! Is this really a big deal? I think lots of people are attractive; I just don't like talking about it b/c it's not important to me. You and I will talk about this later...

Maria Sondule said...

Wow, you're getting a lot of comments! :-)

Neon Duck said...

'ello, Random person alert, just passing through. AND in honor of my outspokenness on polotics here I go. I think that Sara Palin is just too random and obscure for McCain to go any where with it. Plus Palin has only been in office for not quite two years, and McCain's edge against Obama is that he has much more experiance, uh, not any more. I totally think that this choice is not going to help him, however, I'm interested to see how it all plays out...

~Neon Duck