GOTV times infinity

This newly released PSA, created and produced by actor/activist Leonardo DiCaprio (it was supposedly his idea) in conjunction with Declare Yourself, features a myriad of notable names urging us to vote in the upcoming election. See for yourself:

It's interesting that they start out with this sort of reverse psychology ("Don't Vote!"), but later, they list a sampling of the issues we should be concerned about and remind us of the power of voting.
I like the concept, but the message gets slightly redundant when 20 different people (maybe even more) are saying the same thing over and over. However, I have a generally positive opinion of celebrities using their star power to promote causes for the greater good. I especially have a lot of respect for those who devote much of their time as activists for issues they seem to be extremely passionate about and do it all with class and dignity. I could probably write a whole essay on that, as well as the celebrities that are the complete opposite, but that's for another time.
Anyway, it's just a little bit of nitpicking on this rather chilly Friday. It's only October , but it's quite cold already. Nevertheless, I still adore the month of October! (More on that later.) This weekend could potentially be very, very hectic with our school's annual Homecoming Game and Dance. Although I have not attended in previous years, I decided to go this year, mainly through the insistence of one of my friends. As usual, I don't have a date, but I am going with a nice group of friends who, like me, are at the bottom of the social ladder, but we're "cool" in our own special ways. :) (Writing that made me feel happy.) I hope I have fun and don't come to regret spending an entire Saturday doing this. I'm also helping with Homecoming Setup tomorrow morning for volunteer hours, and I'm going to try to be productive!
Before I forget, a little shoutout to kibberon regarding her intriguing post I just read: I understand what she means. For me, I try extremely hard to not make my blog like a journal, mainly b/c I feel my life as a stressed out, over-achieving high schooler isn't all that compelling. I guess there's a ton of other things worth mentioning, so I try to find a variety of interesting topics to rant about. I hope I have succeeded in that and have not bored any of you yet. Although in kibberon's case, I must say that I really enjoy reading about the interesting and the mundane things that happen in her life. So, I suppose it could go either way. That part of it makes her blog unique, and that goes for all of you. Your blogs are about everything under the sun, and it makes for a great read after a long day at school. So, thanks to everyone! Blerg, I gotta go finish everything I have to do, so I'm not swamped with work Sunday night. Have a lovely weekend!

6 comments:

Zany said...

have fun at the homecoming :D

Maria Sondule said...

You will enjoy Homecoming! There's a reason I made you come, you know.
Please do not write about me in your "immature" Writer's Notebook entry. And I will be acting immature.
Yes, we're all cool in our own way. That's what makes us so nerdy. (and weird)

Anonymous said...

have fun at homecoming!

and thank you. that was so sweet that it almost made me cry. it seriously made my day. thank youuu! :)))

Maria Sondule said...

Ah noooooo!!! It won't let me watch the video! Sry for waiting such a long time, I had to work on a on of stuff.

changetheworld360 said...

Sorry, I didn't realize it had been taken down! I fixed it though, so now you can watch it.

Maria Sondule said...

I like it! It's kinda funny, yet gets the message out really well.