Today was slightly eventful, I suppose. I spent part of the afternoon cleaning up one of the courtyards at school. It was a rather disorganized effort: Too many people showed up, and most of them didn't e-mail our adviser to tell her they were coming, so she ended up having to send them home. That left about 20 of us to pull weeds and rake leaves; there really wasn't much else to do in the courtyard. Since winter is fast approaching, we won't get to work on beautifying the courtyard with new plants until spring. Weed pulling was actually challenging to some extent. A large part of the courtyard was covered in weeds, so I got rid of the larger, more evident areas first. Then, the hard part was having to go back and pick out the small, leftover roots and pieces of the weeds. The courtyard had a layer of pebbles on top of the topsoil, so in order to see where the roots were, I would kick the pebbles aside and return them after I found and removed the root of the weed. Sometimes, we had to be careful not to unintentionally remove the roots of another plant that wasn't a weed. For instance, some of the weeds were right beside a bush, and we weren't sure if the root belonged to the weed or the bush. During our cleanup, there were a few teachers that stood inside by the window and just watched us like we were entertainment. Hildy, my eccentric World Affairs teacher, even came out and randomly started talking to some of us. Then again, his room is directly facing the courtyard, so I guess he felt obligated to come and say hi in his "Hildyness". Also, some Yearbook people noticed us and took a group picture, which I hope turned out okay. Overall, it was a reasonable effort by all of us.
Happy Veterans Day (or Armistice/Remembrance Day, depending on where you live). Before I forget: today just so happens to be one of those peculiar days when I have multiple friends celebrating birthdays. So, happy birthday to Chels, Britt, and Mindy! =D (none of them will read this, but oh well.) Which reminds me of something...oddly enough, these marvelous girls share the same birthday with one of my favorite actors, the sublime Leonardo DiCaprio, who turns 34 today. :)
So bloggers, in honor of this great thespian (& environmentalist/uber-cool person in general), what is your favorite DiCaprio performance? (As you can tell, I'm enjoying coming up with questions that you guys can answer!)
(Hmm...Leo looks very pensive here.)
7 comments:
Lol, I will never forgive myself for pulling up a bush root.
I've only seen a couple Leo films but I'd have to say Titanic. Then again, almost anything would be better than Romeo and Juliet.
Happy Birthday Leo, and changetheworld360's friends =).
For me it has to be Blood Diamond.
You didn't mention your favourite Leo performance.
I shall do so.
If I had pick one, it would be Blood Diamond due to the depth and intensity of his character. Plus, it taught me a lot about conflict diamonds and child soldiers, two of the many burdens plaguing Africa. However, I was also very impressed by his performances in The Aviator, Catch Me If You Can, and What's Eating Gilbert Grape?, the latter for which he received his first Oscar nomination at the age of 19 in only his second film role. All of these are worth watching. (Take note, Maria!)
Bottom line: he is an extremely gifted actor who continues to amaze us with his eclectic roles and serious commitment to his craft, so here's hoping that elusive Oscar will soon be his. Also, he comes across as a pretty decent, grounded person who hasn't become jaded by his fame; I highly respect that and his environmentalism. [/rambling]
I totally forgot about 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape'. His performance was definetly very impressive, especially at such a young age. For some reason I still haven't seen The Aviator, I shall rent it soon.
I highly recommend The Aviator. It is an astonishing portrait of a industrious, often larger-than-life figure driven to succeed on the outside and a tormented, troubled man descending into madness on the inside. Oh, and thanks for your opinion on the Obama post. It is always much appreciated!
I have been actually waiting for your 'The Office' weekly review. I especially liked this week's episode because he goes to Canada =).
Post a Comment