2008 Discoveries

As promised, here are a few of my favorite things I discovered this year. Many of them were not really discoveries in every sense, but rather, they were reiterations of why I enjoy them. You'll see what I mean.
-Hulu.com: From catching up on episodes of my favorite shows, to reliving SNL clips, to viewing hilarious Office outtakes, this site was the place to be in 2008. Everything is perfectly legal, and it's so easy to find and access whatever you want. I'm a busy person and I often feel like I never have time to watch TV when something I want to watch is on. Hulu makes it very simple to watch TV anytime.
-Film Experience blog: I've been reading the clever, offbeat musings of Nathaniel & friends on and off since 2005, but this year, I finally became a regular reader and a big fan. Nathaniel can always be trusted to provide well-needed wit and wisdom about the enigmatic world of cinema. He shares his own opinions and is at times a fanboy, but at the end of the day, his unique analysis overshadows all else. His contributors also bring some spice and flavor into the scheme of things, and his podcasts are very insightful and entertaining. Basically, they're Film Experience on the go.
-the political influence of Saturday Night Live: Tina Fey as Sarah Palin = 'nuff said. That alone became quite a phenomenon. But there are other equally interesting examples of the influence SNL had on American politics this past year. After the primary debate sketch in February, the media finally acknowledged the growing complaints that accused them of giving Obama "a free ride" during the thick of the Democratic primaries. Furthermore, politicians realized they could reach a wider audience, particularly young voters, so they all booked cameos on the show. Before long, there was a presidential candidate appearance almost every week.
-Franklin Covey planners: Where would I be without these things? I think I have a problem with organization because I have the urge to write everything down. If it's not on my list, I most likely will forget it. These spiffy planners allow me to make to-do lists of my assignments, priorities, reminders, notices, etc. and jot down random thoughts. I've used assignment notebooks for years, but there's something I really like about these things. Perhaps, it's the way they pre-organize everything for you (in different categories or slots), and then you can write whatever you want, wherever you please. Writing is an inherent part of me; I write about anything and everything. I often get sparks of inspiration from out of the blue, and I quickly write them down in my planner and make a mental note to return to them later. The planner is a convenient size too; I can shove it in a bag or purse, and it goes with me everywhere. These planners also make great gifts.
Yes, I realize these selections are very random, and I picked them for no apparent reason. However, I hope you can benefit from these items as much as I have. ;)

4 comments:

Maria Sondule said...

Gah, I have no time!! I wish I have a FC planner... my HW book usually only gets half filled. I also love SNL, of course, from what I've seen of it. I shall check out Hulu when I get the chance.

Zany said...

Hulu.com is not available in Canada. Even though I have subscribed to their YouTube, I can't access their website.

Franklin Covey is something I had never heard of. I must check it soon.

Thanks, really enjoyed this post :).

changetheworld360 said...

@Maria: The planner makes it easier to organize you priorities, but you have to make sure you write things down in the right places. Therefore, it may not solve your particular problem.
@Zany: Yes, from what I'm aware of, Hulu is only available in the US. However, you Canadians might actually have a website similar to it. A lot of countries do, so that would be worth investigating.

Anonymous said...

hulu is life.

what a wonderful idea... perhaps i will do 2008 post too.