Reel Brief: Curious Case of Milk

I finally got around to seeing some movies this weekend. Grades, thoughts, & commentary:
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button ~ B
A mesmerizing technical feat from visionary director David Fincher. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a film with a grand scope of nearly epic proportions. It is remarkably pleasing to the eye: spectacular visual effects, beautiful cinematography, gorgeous images throughout. However, it lacks a certain grappling punch. Some parts felt moving and memorable; others felt slightly forced, where it tried to touch you but didn't quite do the trick. It is too long and sprawling; some scenes felt dragged and sluggish. Pitt handles his subtle role well, especially with his gentle narration, which contributes to the constant flow of the story. Unfortunately, his role is easily the most passive of all the eclectic characters, and while he plays the title character from old to young, he does this with the help of extraordinary technology, sometimes taking away from the substance of the performance. The usually great Blanchett carries her part of the load, but again is hampered by the stunning visuals. On the other hand, Alexandre Desplat's sweeping score and Eric Roth's ultra-creative storyline are the true highlights, as well as Taraji P. Henson's excellent performance as Benjamin's adoptive mother Queenie, filled with truth and value. The story is sprinkled with many historical mementos and unique details (it incorporates New Orleans, the setting, as almost a character in itself) that grab your attention and add to the excitement. I guess I expected the overall film to be more powerful than it turned out to be, save for a few scenes, but what The Curious Case of Benjamin Button lacks in that regard, it makes up for in mind-boggling beauty and scale.
Milk ~ A-
A marvelous chronicle of a man who brought hope to so many when they needed it most. Sean Penn, in his most impressive role yet, shines as Harvey Milk, who brought one San Francisco neighborhood to its feet, in turn putting him at the forefront of an era. Through his monumental political movement, he spread the fight for gay rights all across the country in the 1970s, and his story impacted millions of people. The engrossing screenplay keeps things moving throughout, taking you on an unforgettable journey through Milk's greatest triumphs and most devastating downfalls. The pacing felt just right: there was enough attention put on the important facets of the story with no time wasted. The film also features standout performances from its supporting players, particularly Josh Brolin as Milk's eventual assassin Dan White, Emile Hirsch as Milk's young protegé Cleve Jones, and newcomer Alison Pill as Milk's feisty campaign manager Anne Kronenberg. But, what truly struck me was the way you could feel yourself amongst the action. Somehow, the film enables you to feel you were right there, right beside Milk's supporters marching through the streets of the Castro or attending one of his rallies. In addition to its increasing relevance to current society, Milk is a poignant tribute to a man who shaped a powerful phenomenon in American politics and whose legacy still lives on today.

4 comments:

changetheworld360 said...

Aww, were my reviews really that bad? [Just kidding.]

Zany said...

No, they were not bad at all.

I really wanted to see Milk. As far as the Curious Case is concerned I was not expecting much from the movie.

Maria Sondule said...

Sorry, I was away... Blah, a B. Oh well. Now I guess I won't go see it. Milk sounds really good but I don't know if I want to see that either.

changetheworld360 said...

A B is not bad. And besides, this is my opinion only. Just 'cause I didn't love it doesn't mean you won't. As one of the Best Picture frontrunners (as of the last few weeks), it really underwhelmed me. But when a film is receiving that much buzz, I inevitably judge it in that regard.