Sally Hawkins (Happy-Go-Lucky) - Poppy
Up-and-coming Brit Sally Hawkins has had a banner year as the star of Mike Leigh's exuberant comedy, winning Best Actress at the 2008 Berlinale, various Critics' Associations, in
cluding the prestigious New York and Los Angeles Critics' prizes, and of course, she picked up the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy last month. Previously, Hawkins starred in Masterpiece Theatre's Persuasion and appeared in small parts in other Leigh films.I never got around to posting my review of this flick when I saw it back in November, so long story short: the witty screenplay and memorable supporting players are brilliant, but Hawkins' performance is the heart and soul of this all-around uplifting experience. Hawkins plays Poppy, a thirty-something London primary school teacher always yearning for the best in life, even through difficult times. She deals with hardships with such bubbly optimism that it's hard not to bring a smile to your face. :) Along the way, Poppy discovers the eccentricities of life and has to find a way to deal these. She is determined not to let go of her optimism, even in dealing with her angry driving instructor (polar opposite personality!), and helping out her family and friends with conflicts.
It seems like a straight-forward character, but it requires a complex balance of simplicity and grace. Hawkins brings a sense of buoyant substance, beautifully highlighting every aspect of the character. She takes everything in stride without seeming cheesy or overwhelming like the role often entails.
Overall, Hawkins is vivacious and spectacular in this splendid role. It's a shame that despite her many accolades, the Academy overlooked easily the best comedic performance of the year. After this introduction to her, I'm highly anticipating more exceptional work to come!
Richard Je
nkins (The Visitor) - Walter ValeFrom a career that has spanned three decades, Richard Jenkins has played in bit parts in countless films, some of which are fairly well known. He often plays the character whose name you can never remember, but not anymore. At 61, Richard Jenkins has finally broke out of that shell that's kept him enclosed for so long. In the little-seen indie The Visitor, he takes on his first truly leading role and is finally receiving recognition for his largely unnoticed work, as well as bringing audiences to discover this fine film. (Shameless plug: I feel The Visitor is one of the year's most underrated films for its poignant look at cultural awareness in the post 9/11 world. Please check it out!)
Jenkins' character Walter Vale is a lonely college professor in small town Connecticut struggling to find liveliness in his existence. His wife has passed away, his classes and students have become humdrum and tedious, and he has lost the motivation for a fresh perspective in life. But then, he discovers two immigrants living in his New York City apartment. At first, he is wary of interacting with them, but they gradually introduce him to vibrant African and Middle Eastern music and culture. There are some drastic complications introduced in the middle of the film that change the plot, but they bring Walter even more new opportunities and unexpected friendships. Over time, he realizes how he needs to truly live his life and actively seek new beginnings.
Jenkins approaches this subtle role with meticulous ease. Every restrained expression seems effortless; every mannerism is perfectly realized. He flawlessly carries the film and the subdued nature of his character. Aside from one scene at the end, he doesn't have any flashy lines or spirited rants, which makes his performance all the more remarkable.
I am super excited that he received an Oscar nomination, which was largely due to the respect he has gained in the industry as the quintessential "actor's actor", and the nomination is a great reward for his tireless commitment to the craft.
Additional breakthroughs/breakouts worth noting: Rebecca Hall (Vicky Cristina Barcelona) - Vicky; Taraji P. Henson (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button) - Queenie
4 comments:
Well, they have a lot of people to satisfy. Not everyone gets what they deserve.
I like your writing style. It reads like a newspaper article to me... =D
I have HGL saved on my Netflix queue. Heard good things about it. Enjoyed The Visitor VERY much, but even more after considering it later. I concur- nice writing style.
WV- "wakobb"= this is what is said when someone passes a cob of corn when it's not at all expected. This is also the sound you hear when it slips out of their hand & hits you on the head!
@Maria: Of course. Isn't that a foregone conclusion? Every awards season, it amazes me how many people are just now discovering that the Academy is full of b.s.!
And, thank you. I am flattered. :)
@CL Wolfe: Yes, I highly recommend it! Agreed on The Visitor. After I thought much about it, I enjoyed it even more. I like your analysis of the word verification! =D
I agree with Maria, I love your writing style :).
I saw Vicky Cristina Barcelona over the weekend and loved. I am really behind with my reviews.
C. Louis,
I am also very impressed with the way you describe WVs.
Post a Comment