Anatomy of a Performance 08/09 -- Part 4

Asides/scattered thoughts:
Sorry these last two are shorter than the other 5. I've had a brain-frying week, particularly editing the next edition of the paper, and unfortunately, the next few weeks will be the same. Next week, tech rehearsals for our musical start, and I will also be away for two days, attending a student council conference at the state capitol (which will hopefully be worth getting up at 3 in the morning for.) As far as blogging is concerned, I've had quite a few ideas in mind that are not cinema-related, and I can utilize them now that awards season is finally coming to an end. (New readers: I assure you I have many other interests other than film!) But first, Hollywood's annual night of cinematic mercy is coming in about 48 hours, and I, like every year, will be tuning in. I may or may not live-blog, depending on if I have time, but I will try to post my quick thoughts following the ceremony. In the meantime, have an nice weekend and thanks for reading!
Now to tonight's main event: I conclude this year's Anatomy of a Performance series with a masterful Marvel and the living Legend. Drum roll please...

Sean Penn (Milk) - Harvey Milk
The astonishing Sean Penn produces his most impressive work in Gus Van Sant's Milk. But before I divulge about the performance, I must stress (and praise!) that the film and his performance manage to avoid all possible clichés of biopics. Milk provides an intimate portrait of a man who changed his environment by "never blending in." It doesn't try to preach any political message or endearing legacy; instead, it lets the audience discover its true meaning themselves. It pulls you straight into the era and the action, and while educating you about the historical perspective, it transforms into a deeply affecting eulogy for the man it epitomizes.
Even with the delightful supporting cast, all of whom I enjoyed, Penn constitutes the ultimate core of Milk. He brings in his own flavor to his eccentric character, enhancing the overall persona. Like all genuinely great biopic performances, he captures every gesture of slain gay rights leader Harvey Milk without making it purely an imitation. There's so much to admire about the performance because Penn completely immerses himself in the character. The audience doesn't see the gears turning in his head; that's what makes it all the more effective. Penn as Milk is sometimes whimsical and playful, but ultimately, his portrayal is very moving and inspirational. It is a testament to the tremendous hope that the real Milk brought to so many people in the late 1970s, and hopefully, he would have been proud of it.
Currently locked in a tight battle with Mickey Rourke for this year's Best Actor trophy, I'm predicting he will take it, but Rourke winning definitely wouldn't surprise me. Having not seen The Wrestler, I can't properly judge, but I have heard many good things about the film, especially Rourke's performance.
One last note: I wasn't always the biggest Sean Penn fan, especially after watching his campy, overrated, Oscar-winning turn in Mystic River ("IS THAT MY DAUGHTA IN THERRRRE???"); consequently because of his inspired work in Milk, he has definitely grown on me, and I now see why he is one of the most celebrated actors of our era.

Two more marvels: the late, great Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight) - The Joker ("Why. So. Serious?"...'nuff said.); Kristin Scott Thomas (I've Loved You So Long/Il y a longtemps que je t'aime)- Juliette

Meryl Streep (Doubt) - Sister Aloysius Beauvier
While I don't think this is the best female performance of the year and certainly not as exceptional as some of Streep's other fabulous roles, as living legend #1, she hardly ever lets us down, and so I am obligated to discuss her turn as powerful Sister Aloysius. The more I ponder her performance, the more I think about how she could have made the character, a domineering and commanding nun, a total caricature. And yet, she brings many facets of humanity to this character.
On the surface, Aloysius is monstrously determined to engineer the downfall of her rival priest, Father Flynn. She has no evidence that Father Flynn committed any wrongdoing, but with her position of leadership, as well as her personal tensions with the priest, she is determined to find the proof. She makes her certainties lucid from the very beginning and immediately establishes her stance. This sets the plot in motion, and each heated exchange and testy confrontation builds up climactically. But slowly but surely, we realize that internally, her stiff and seemingly relentless facade is cracking. Her last scene, which I won't give away, is especially impacting and rather surprising.
Streep has excellent line delivery, among the many signatures of her renowned career. In each scene, the rapid-fire dialogue is precisely placed and executed. She has quite a few interesting one-liners that are always worth pondering. But bringing it back to the facets of humanity, I feel she properly managed the character when it could have become too over-the-top or even contrived, showing her meticulous skills.
Ever since her SAG win last month, many Oscar pundits have been speculating that she could pull an upset in Oscar's Best Actress race. After all, she is supremely respected in the pantheon of cinema, and the longevity of her career is astonishing. Now with 15 nominations, she has not won in over a quarter century. I think this is Winslet's Oscar to lose, but Streep could potentially surprise us.

Other noteworthy legends: none that compare to the Meryl Streep, of course. :)

And, that's a wrap! Thanks for reading this year's series. I hope you enjoyed my analyses of these varied but outstanding performances. Please understand that there were many more I wanted to write about as well, particularly the ones I mentioned as runners-up. All are highly recommended, so I strongly urge you check them out! Until next year...

2 comments:

Maria Sondule said...

I really like Meryl Streep. How many Oscars has she won?

Zany said...

Maria, she has won two oscars. But, I really hope Kate Winslet gets to win this year. As much as I admire Meryl Streep, I would be rooting for Winslet.

I agree with you about "Milk". It was unlike any other biopic, especially because I didn't know about Harvey Milk's legacy prior to the release of the movie. I also think Sean Penn's performance was brilliant. You are right, performance was not jaggedy, it was smooth. He showed myriad emotions and they changed based on his political and personal struggles.

Goodluck with the editing, and at the student council conference. Blog about your trip, if you get a chance :).

I really enjoyed reading about the performances, and I look forward to reading your Oscar review.