Afternoon Blogroll

I stole Zany's idea of posting some interesting links. =D I like it because it's quick and easy to do.

Firstly, I want to check out A Powerful Noise if I get the chance. I heard about it from a One Campaign update via Facebook, since it's one of the causes I subscribe to. This is kind of old news, but I think you can still see the documentary at various locations. It is about three women in the Third World trying to improve their live in their troubled societies. It sounds like an extremely informative and empowering documentary, especially for women. Additionally, I am always inspired by ordinary citizens making a difference for the greater good.
Over on The Film Experience, Nathaniel brings back his old Tuesday Top 10 series with an post on "overdue" actors. Now that Kate Winslet is finally an Oscar winner, who's next in line? Surprisingly, Laura Linney only made the honorable mention list, but I do agree on Sigourney Weaver, who unfortunately is not getting the same types of roles she got in her heyday. I also approve of the Meryl mention, who's definitely overdue for her third. In response to Nathaniel's question, I hesitate to raise my hand. :( (Julie & Julia, perhaps? It might be too light for Oscar, à la The Devil Wears Prada.)
The New York Times' The Caucus, our always reliable source for political news, brings us the most essential story of the week. Is this really necessary? I'm not ripping on NYT specifically, but society in general, who can't seem to get over the fact that the party's over. There are more pressing matters in the Obama administration. (I admit I might need to shut up about this topic, so I'll make it brief.) The good news is that swing set company now has a way to drum up sales.
In actual news, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has been circling the globe, first meeting with leaders in the Middle East to discuss the ongoing (and increasingly bleak) Arab-Israeli conflict, and then moving on to the NATO conference in Geneva. She also announced President Obama will be travelling to Turkey later this month to meet with leaders there, since they are an important ally in the War on Terror in Afghanistan. I was slightly amused by an anecdote that occurred involving her, the Russian foreign minister, and a reset button. Interesting indeed.
Finally, I wish SNL alum Jimmy Fallon the best of luck on his new late-night gig, which debuted this week on NBC. I haven't watched it or heard much about it, but it's nice to see Jimmy back in his element.
Btw, school needs to go away. It is the sole cause of my never-ending stress and absence from blogging. Between rehearsals for all the musical groups I play in, applying for summer programs (which brings piles of paperwork), and scheduling for next year's courses (already!), not even mentioning the onslaught of schoolwork, the spring tempest has arrived. I'm sorry for these meager posts; they are the result of the deadly cycle of school.
<= P.S.: Thanks to kibberon for bestowing me with a blog honor. She brings up a good point: I need a better pseudonym for myself. Currently, mine is too long and odd; any suggestions? Something short and sweet? Anyway, I nominate Zany, Stefany, Wolfe, and seven imaginary blogs.

5 comments:

Zany said...

I agree with Kibberon, your blog is fabulous. Thanks for the mention and the blog honour :).

The Film Experience's Nathaniel forgot to mention Leo DiCaprio :|. I agree, both Laura Linney, and Meryl Streep deserve to win an Oscar.

I share you sentiments about this obsession with Obama. I don't understand why people care about his workout routine, or his greying hair.

I believe, Hillary covered a lot on her first diplomatic trip. My mom is so impressed with her work that she has been giving me fashion advice based on Hillary's pantsuits. Btw, I enjoyed reading the "Reset Button" article. It was funny.

Zany said...

I just watched the trailer for "A Powerful Noise". It looks very inspirational, and moving. Too bad it's not playing in Toronto :S.

changetheworld360 said...

That's a fun tidbit about your mom! :)
Yes, I also noticed the absence of Leo DiCaprio from that list. He's yet another person who I hope will win soon. I should start by being less pessimistic.

Stefany said...

Yay! Thank you for the nom!

Any way, thanks for mentioning Nathaniel's blog. Very informative.

Also, I saw Hillary here in Ohio while on a mini road trip with my friend... She was so close, I could have touched her (shoe-wise... not creepy-wise). It was like a concert in there... Great woman.

Also, I like Fallon. Most people are hating him. They think he is very un-funny and too nervous. I don't care. He's really down to earth in his interviews and is a sweet heart.

Well, that's all I have to say.

Maria Sondule said...

Hmmmm... (not writing about honorees)
I actually think changetheworld is a good name, but if you MUST shorten it then- well, I can't pick. It's your name, and if you find a good one, then it's fine with everyone else. Just let us know who you are. :)