Late Night Critique

I've been watching parts of Conan O'Brien's new Tonight Show, sometimes on TV, but mostly online. He's obviously had some big shoes to fill. Now, I may not be the best person to comment on Conan's first few weeks: I've been a fan over the years, and Conan's style appeals to people my age. Of course, his physical comedy (the "string dance") and self-deprecating humor (pale Irish guy with oddly arranged hair) may not go well with his new target audience: middle aged average Joes, the people who made Jay Leno #1 for over a decade. Time will tell if a) Conan can rebrand himself to reach wider demographics and b) loyal Jay Leno fans will permanently adopt Conan as their new go-to late night host. It does not help that Jay will be back on NBC in September with a primetime talk and variety show every day at 10pm, and his old viewers might tune in then, skip Conan, and go to sleep earlier. In the meantime, Conan figured out a way to find out what people really think of him:

Btw, regarding another late night host: can we please get over Letterman's controversial remarks about Sarah Palin??? Yes, he crossed the line, but is that a reason to fire him? People like him push the envelope for a living, and yet, this particular instance has made people angry as hell. Moving on...
The Adventures of Obama & the Fly: OK, you've probably heard about Obama's fly swatting during a CNBC interview; the blogosphere has discussed it ad nauseum. Conan, as well as the always entertaining Jon Stewart, each offer their own thoughts on this frivolous pop culture moment. Conan adds a little addition, while Jon recounts a similar experience.
Hope summer is treating everyone well. I've still been busy, but I'm trying to relax too.

2 comments:

Stefany said...

I've actually taken a liking to Conan, even though I've been a Jay fan for years and years. I've always appreciated Jay's caring and polite ways. He is a sincere and GOOD man. Watching him through the years has been a treat, and actually, more like a tradition.

YET, Conan is refreshing. He used to annoy the hell out of me, but not anymore. I've watched all of his Tonight Shows thus far, and he's not too shabby.

Jimmy Fallon, on the other-hand, should be off the air. Not a good show AT ALL.

*Sorry for the long comment! Comes from not being in college yet and being laid-off from work... The days are so long... I feel worthless. Argh!*

Maria Sondule said...

Lol, wow. Those poor old people! XD