Nathaniel over at The Film Experience has informally proclaimed June as Meryl Streep Month, and today, the celebrations culminate as the legendary Ms. Streep turns 60. Amid his "Streep at 60: A Retrospective" series and his blog buddy Nick's tribute piece, I've decided to offer my own rather elementary take and appreciation of sorts to one of the classiest and down to earth ladies in Hollywood and, first and foremost, one of our greatest silver screen giants. (I say elementary because between those two sources, you've already got enough Streep praise for a day!)In a career spanning 30+ years, Meryl has graced character after character, ranging from her tragic Sophie Zawistowski, a Holocaust survivor haunted by the secrets of her past, to her icy Miranda Priestly, the omnipotent editor-in-chief of Runway magazine. Her never-ending list of accolades impresses even the most experienced moviegoers: 15 Oscar nominations and (only) 2 wins, 23 Golden Globe nods and 6 wins, 2 Emmys, Lifetime Achievement Awards from the American Film Institute and the Film Society of Lincoln Center, and many more. Will anyone ever topple her records? I think not, but it's still debatable. (Fangirl moment: Can AMPAS hurry up and give her a third/fourth Oscar? You know she deserves it.)
But, enough about that. I know if she were reading this post (psh, I can wish), she probably wouldn't relish each reference to her gargantuan circle of awards. She wouldn't want to hear about how fantastic her performances are and how impressive her career is, but I can't help that. Every performance is meticulously crafted, technical, sometimes even polarizing. But even so, her best roles are often deeply affecting, transformative, and endearing. Regardless of the style or genre, her character creations are always a sight to behold. Although Meryl loves to think otherwise, she is the queen of characters, accents, and arguably of modern cinema. Watching any of her performances is watching a grand master in her state of Zen. There are not nearly enough words to describe them.
They call her the chameleon for a reason: Her versatility is beyond measure. Similarly, her humility is beyond inspiring. Despite her storied career, she never takes herself too seriously and always seems to have a refreshing sense of humor about everything. She doesn't forget her humble beginnings growing up in New Jersey, attending Vassar and Dartmouth College, and getting an MFA from Yale's prestigious School of Drama. Her dedication to her craft and the longevity of her career are what other actors can only dream of. And, she's successfully raised four talented children and stayed married to the same man her entire career. In today's Hollywood, that seems like a myth. At the end of the day, maybe that's why she's so extraordinary- there's no one quite like Meryl.
Below, in collage form, is a breakdown of some of her most iconic and memorable roles, what can be perceived as 10 Streep essentials. Keep in mind that I still have a lot to see, so this is just a sampling. I won't bore you with the details of each one, but you can read more about them at The Film Experience (Nathaniel is painstakingly reviewing the highlights) . In addition, here are 60 ways to celebrate.
10 Streep Essentials: 1. Kramer vs. Kramer (1979); 2. Sophie's Choice (1982); 3. Silkwood (1983); 4. Out of Africa (1985); 5. Postcards from the Edge (1990); 6. One True Thing (1998); 7. The Hours (2002); 8. Adaptation. (2002); 9. Angels in America (2003); 10. The Devil Wears Prada (2006)In the meantime, the queen of modern cinema never stops! In August, she will be seen in Nora Ephron's Julie & Julia, where she takes on the late chef Julia Child. It's her third summer movie in three years, making it hard to believe that she's gaining the most commercial appeal of her career at an age when most actresses are long gone from the mainstream. Later this year, she stars in an as of yet untitled Nancy Meyers comedy.
In closing, Meryl's contemporaries and descendants constantly thank and honor her. But today, we get to sing her praises too. I can honestly say that we are so lucky to live in the Streep era of cinema and to experience every moment of her screen life. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the ultimate chameleon, goddess, living legend, and idol: the one and only Meryl Streep.
P.S.: She's hilarious! Her acceptance speeches are always a treat, and her interviews are never dull. Here's one with Ellen DeGeneres. Trust me, you will be dying laughing when you get to the dialects part (6:00).
That's all. (a Meryl cliché for those of you who love The Devil Wears Prada like I do!)

5 comments:
Question for all of you: Favorite Streep performance? If you can't answer this question, I demand you to rent one of her films NOW!
Mine: the riotously funny Susan Orlean in Adaptation., closely followed by Sophie's Choice, her 4(!) characters in Angels in America, Kramer vs. Kramer, and The Devil Wears Prada.
My favourites: Kramer vs. Kramer and The Devil Wears Prada.
I have yet to watch Sophie's Choice. But, I am still waiting for the opportunity to read the book first :).
the devil wears prada is still one of my favorite movies, but i think meryl streep was amazing in doubt. i loved her accent. it was great.
Meryl is a really good actress, yes. My fav performances of her are in Devil Wears Prada and Doubt (only because I don't have much else to choose from...)
Btw, I watched Slumdog (finally!) It was really good.
Hey Marina--
I was pleasantly surprised by your blog; you write well! Keep writing.
Post a Comment