Back to Reality

This post sounds incredibly sappy, especially since I wrote a 3-page entry in my notebook about this very topic, but you'll catch my drift.

It's a weird feeling being back from speech camp. I've been home for a few days, but I can't seem to settle back into my normal life. I'm constantly on Facebook talking with my camp friends or just sitting around instead of doing actual work that I'm supposed to be doing. Camp was a hectic but structured schedule where I set benchmarks for myself and interacted with so many amazing people who eventually became my "family". The daily routine quickly became embedded in my mind, so being at home feels so different. I'm slowly transitioning back to normalcy.
Reflecting on camp, I realize how meaningful the experience was. I remember thinking I would regret my decision to go b/c I had to give up going to the Columbia summer program and the hours I spent filling out the lengthy application. I never should have questioned myself. Camp was one of the best experiences of my life. I learned more about forensics than I ever could have imagined, thanks to an incredibly dedicated and encouraging team of coaches and instructors. Because of their tireless work, I learned to soak in every practice speech, lecture, lab, etc. and give 100% of myself in everything. I knew I had to take full advantage of every opportunity. They gave me the knowledge and confidence I need to compete on the national circuit. I'm so excited for the year to begin so that I can apply everything I have learned and teach it to others. Overall, our coaches and instructors truly inspired and empowered me, and I am beyond grateful.
But perhaps the most important reason the stress and sleep deprivation I suffered was worth it: I gained a family, a network of people whom I know I can count on. The staff and of course, my fellow campers, truly became my family. At first, I, like always, was afraid I wouldn't fit in and feel like an outcast. But, I soon discovered I had incorrectly judged them. Not only do they share the same interest of forensics, but they are so supportive and enthusiastic about it. At the end of the day, that was the only thing that mattered. When we have such a strong common bond, I guess everything else is only relative. With them, I found a temporary sense of belonging, a place within a microcosm. I was content with myself instead of trying fit the mold b/c I was the mold.
The bonds of family are not easily broken. I will hold on to the connections and try to keep in touch with everyone. They enriched my camp experience and created fond memories that will last a long time. Moreover, they're great people to be around, and I almost always felt welcome around them. For all of these reasons, it was almost impossible to say goodbye. Even though I miss everyone greatly, I will see many of them at major national tournaments throughout the year. So, I suppose my family is never far away. I'm looking forward to seeing them again very soon!
But for now, back to reality. School will commence in just under a month, and I need to brace myself for the busy year ahead. I have some ideas for future posts, and I will try to return to posting less personal thoughts soon. Hope everyone is doing okay. :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was so heart-warming! I'm glad you had a good time at camp!