"Tennis is cruel."

I have officially proclaimed today International "Feel Bad for Andy Roddick" Day. :( On the other hand, congrats to Roger Federer-- Grand Slam title #15! Both played a tremendous match and are very classy guys. Kudos to Roger for being a good sport, especially considering the pain Andy must be feeling after nearly defeating arguably the greatest tennis player ever. So close, yet so far. However, it might be a stretch for Roger to say he knows how Andy feels. Dude, losing the way Andy did is not the same as losing after winning 5 Wimbledons! In the meantime, it was great to see Pete Sampras back at Centre Court, looking on with all of the other legends.
Honestly, I think Roddick fought harder than Federer and deserved to win, but he clearly missed a few crucial points throughout the grueling 5 set match. I hope he wins another Grand Slam final someday; he certainly can after how well he played today. Though, I can't imagine how Roddick must be feeling; I'm still trying to fathom the loss myself. It's a cruel outcome. Federer was inevitably going to win #15 at some point. It didn't have to happen today under these circumstances, not with Roddick playing the best tennis he's ever played.
Blah. There are always winners and losers in life, but this was the worst way to lose.
Psst! Here's the lowdown for non-tennis aficionados.

0 comments: