"The slower we move, the faster we die. Make no mistake: Moving is living."

from the trailer of Up in the Air, the new film from director Jason Reitman (Juno) opening in limited release on November 13 and widening over the Thanksgiving holiday. It's a dark comedy about a life constantly on the move. George Clooney plays Ryan Bingham, a "corporate downsizing expert" who travels around the country firing people. The film explores a phenomenon that is far from an anomaly in today's fast-moving world, the idea that we are all loners and can't build relationships because we never have the time to stop for a second and make the effort.
Up in the Air is getting rave reviews on the festival circuit this year, particularly for Clooney, newcomer Anna Kendrick, and Reitman's screenplay adapted from Walter Kirn's novel. Look for it as a formidable contender in the upcoming awards derby. I, for one, am extremely satisfied with the trailer, which Reitman himself cut. It looks like a very pertinent and introspective film for our times. Reitman has said that it is his most personal film yet, and it definitely has a darker tone than Juno or Thank You For Smoking.
WATCH THE TRAILER. IT'S BRILLIANT.


2 comments:

Maria Sondule said...

I still want to see Juno. I'll definitely check this movie out.

Anonymous said...

Last year I wrote this essay on how existence is simplified by movement, how life is beautiful in simple movements. And I read this book called The Elegance of the Hedgehog that was basically about that. I wrote myself in circles because after a while I become incapable of thinking in a straight line like that. This of course has nothing in particular to do with the movie except that they both have to do with life and movement but the movie sounds great anywho.

Sorry I haven't left any unnecessarily long-winded comments in a while!