It was the best of times; it was the worst of times.

Life is rather strange right now. It's March, which means two months until AP exams (aka two weeks of hell). Morale is definitely running low—everyone around me is feeling the strain of a long year that will only get worse before it gets better. The "snowmaggedon" of last month further exacerbates problems because it has made us so behind in all of our classes. What if we don't even have time to learn everything we need to know before the exams? Blerg... On the positive side, I'm going to states for forensics next weekend. I'm also going to CFLs (the national tournament for the National Catholic Forensic League) in Omaha over Memorial Day weekend, so on the forensics front, life is good. (The CFL is kind of weird. You don't have to be Catholic  and go to a Catholic school to participate. I guess it was just originally for Catholic schools but was later expanded to include other schools.) On the actual life front, life is tough.
Oscars tomorrow! Rootin' for Kathryn Bigelow (first female to win Best Director ever for her jarringly amazing film The Hurt Locker), Jason Reitman (adapted screenplay for the brilliant Up in the Air), and the one, the only MERYL STREEP (best actress...ever!). Sorry my Oscar coverage has been scant this year—no time to sleep, let alone blog about film, but I guess I can sleep when I'm dead.
Trying to stay positive. Life is a constant battle, but I can win if I keep fighting. Or perhaps all of our efforts lead to nothing. After all, Thoreau was right: "the mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." It's just like trying to find the meaning of life—you never know the answer. Life is a minefield of uncertainty. All this existentialist thinking makes me want to watch Up in the Air and read Kafka's The Metamorphosis and Thoreau's Walden again.
Hope everyone is doing well. Spring is coming soon!

0 comments: