I've been tuning into the convention these last two nights, mostly just as an casual observer. I only watched the headlining speakers and a little bit of CNN's commentaries, so not very in-depth viewing. Monday night, Michelle Obama spoke about her journey from growing up on Chicago's South Side, to her education at Princeton and Harvard, to her public service in Chicago. She mentioned the two historic elements of this week, the 88th anniversary of the 19th Amendment giving women the right to vote, and the 45th anniversary of Martin Luther King's "I Have A Dream" speech. Both of these landmarks obviously shaped her as a person. Overall, it was a very personal speech that really connected with delegates and gave voters a better impression of her character.
Last night was mainly Hillary Clinton's night. Strategically speaking, her remarks hit all the right points. She thanked her supporters, but urged them to support Barack Obama. She reminded us of the importance of this election, that it's all about bringing change to people. She went on to tell the stories of some of the many people she met while campaigning. She even reached out to Michelle Obama, saying she would make a great first lady, and Joe Biden and his wife Jill. Everything in her speech was connected back to Obama. CNN's commentators all agreed she delivered for Obama, and did what she needed to do, so the general consensus was positive. They also indicated she was probably the best loser they had ever seen, mentioning Barack Obama by name numerous times during her speech. The crowd surely loved it, giving her a long standing ovation before and after she spoke. In simple terms, most would agree it was an energized, inspirational, and gracious speech, and Chelsea Clinton's introduction video was very poignant as well. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4wzPHjBjzU) A side note: I enjoyed seeing the clips of SNL's Amy Poehler (poking fun at Hillary's guffaw) & Tina Fey (openly backing Hillary). Hopefully, this occasion will convince Hillary supporters to back Obama if they haven't already, for the sake of party unity.
As much as I try to remain unbiased, I cannot help but say that Hillary Rodham Clinton is truly a courageous woman. She has spent her entire life in public service, fighting for what she believes in and helping people achieve their dreams. Personally, she has been and will continue to be an inspirational figure in my life. Whether you like her or not, it is undeniable that she has motivated this generation to reach for higher heights and never give up.
4 comments:
Yes, Hillary is a very courageous woman and might have made a good president. There's always '12...
I think Hillary's speech was one of the best speeches I have heard. I agree with her message, it's time to put aside the differences and support Obama.
i almost cried during her speech.
Great post!
Cxx
Post a Comment