Summer's coming past...

Summer break is coming to an end. In a little more than a week, I will be back to my hectic life of honors classes, rehearsals, extracurriculars, and zero free time. My main goals this year are probably just to do a better job of managing my time (the ultimate problem!), get involved in more activities, get more volunteer hours, and personally, to sort things out in my life and make sense of things a little more. I'm always in a rather enigmatic state of mind, and it's so hard to describe my feelings or justify my actions. I guess I just need a clearer picture of my goals and how I'm going to reach them. (OK, all of that didn't make any sense...) I got my schedule, which did not entail any surprises b/c I already had a general idea of which classes/teachers I would have. Unfortunately, I have the same gym teacher as last year. He was very unfriendly and seemed like he wasn't capable of anything besides yelling. Oh well, I guess I'll live.
I haven't done a lot of writing lately, but I came up with an idea for a story. It's going to be about a girl who falls in love with the city, sorta like me. I've always loved cities, especially New York City, ever since I was really little. I think it's because I like the feeling of belonging. In New York City, there are people from all kinds of nationalities and walks of life. It's easy to fit in and feel comfortable. I've lived in the suburbs my entire life, and it feels so quiet and humdrum; also, I've always found it hard to fit in. Obviously, there's a lot of detrimental aspects of cities, like traffic and pollution, but I really hope I get to live in NYC someday. Maybe for college (I'm definitely shooting for schools like Columbia, but it's so hard to get into any Ivy!) or whatever job I get after that...who knows? I'm terrible at writing short fiction, so hopefully this story turns out all right.
Congrats to Misty May-Treanor & Kerri Walsh for winning their 2nd consecutive Olympic gold in beach volleyball. It was a very exciting match to watch! However, the Olympics are ending soon... :( I'm always a little sad when they're over.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahh at the beginning of every school year, i always tell myself that i need to manage my time better, and then things just get jumbled up all over again. sigh.

and i love nyc too! and i've never been able to say why, but you said it perfectly. fitting in. it's so inviting..

Maria Sondule said...

How come it says I didn't update my blog since a week ago?

Maria Sondule said...

Good luck with your schedule. There's no point in overworking yourself, even if it gets you more college credits or volunteer hours.