Turning the Tide

Finally! I have some time to offer my analysis on the big story of this week: the election of Sen. Barack Obama as the next President of the United States (POTUS!) Despite enormous support, he undoubtedly faces a lot when he takes office in January. There's the ongoing war in Iraq, where sectarian violence continues to endanger citizens. Nuclear proliferation, particularly from Iran and North Korea, is an ongoing threat to both national and global security. And then, there is the imminent environmental crisis: greenhouse gas emissions, climate change, and our rapid industrialization that has caused the precarious state of the planet. Domestically, the biggest and most urgent problem is the economy. Thousands of banks are insecure, homes are being foreclosed, and the value of the US dollar has decreased dramatically. Health care costs are rising, and social security and welfare programs often leave needy families in the dark. We also need to tackle the challenge of energy independence and find viable alternatives to oil, natural gas, and coal.
I mentioned only a few of the plethora of terrifying challenges that loom over all of us. These are dangerous and mysterious times, full of uncertainties, so Obama needs to be a strong-minded, practical leader willing to do whatever it takes to win all of these battles. However, in an increasingly connected world, it's not as easy as it sounds.
I am not entirely pessimistic; I admire Obama's persistence and dedication to the American people. He is an inspiration to all of us, and his clear message of change swept the nation. It blatantly appealed to voters, especially young people. I am skeptical, however, of exactly how much change will happen. The historical significance of his victory is encouraging and will hopefully lead to better racial relations in this country. But, I feel that there might be far too high expectations for him to solve all the problems that currently exist.
In our fast-changing world, we constantly have to doubt our beliefs and chances. Solutions to conflicts don't come easily, and the Obama administration will not be able to achieve immediate success either. But despite the bleak picture, perhaps the optimism and unity of the American people will ultimately propel us into improvement and change.
So, feel free to sound off about this momentous week. What do you hope President-elect Obama will focus on?

5 comments:

Maria Sondule said...

First and foremost, I hope he will focus on the economy. I also hope he'll devote energy to figuring out some kind of alternate energy source.
lol, you could use this for World Affairs.

changetheworld360 said...

I could. Actually, I adapted this from a writer's notebook entry I wrote earlier this week. =D

changetheworld360 said...

I should probably answer my own question. Evidently, the economy is the #1 issue, which covers a large umbrella that includes other issues, such as the national debt, decreasing value of the dollar, housing market, unemployment, etc. But personally, I think the #1 issue both domestically and globally is the environment. We need to implement alternative energy sources before it's too late. Also, our dependence on oil also affects our foreign policy in the Middle East dealing with petro-dictators. Lastly, the fight against climate change is undoubtedly the biggest challenge of our generation. At the end of the day, it affects all of us, so we all need to do our part. (Ah, another rant!)

Anonymous said...

i think this has been one of my favorite posts of yours. i have to agree and say that the economy will be the most demanding issue. i also think that universal healthcare would be incredible, but of course it wouldn't be that easy to start, considering the impast that insurance companies have on our economy, and the number of people that would be laid off if insurance companies were put out of commission. but then there could be more new jobs in renewable energies, so the environment should come next. or the war. i'm not completely informed on the war, so i don't know if i'll sound like an idiot saying this, but i think we should finish what we started, leave, not go back, and try to be amicable. and neutral. i don't remember the time in my life when the US was not at war, which is disappointing.

so yes. that is what i think in that order.

Zany said...

Excellent post. Sorry I didn't get a chance to comment on it earlier =).

I think, Obama's economic solution should incorporate creating a green bubble, like how we had the internet bubble in the 90s.

As far as the wars are concerned, I would prefer it if he shifts his focus to Afghanistan and Pakistan, from Iraq. Problems in that region are getting worse by the minute. The solution is not in bombing the villages which might be housing Osama Bin Laden, but also making sure human rights violations are also stopped, and people are given opportunities so they can sustain independently.

And, then there's the genocide in Darfur, where women are raped, and children are killed...

Obama not only has to rectify Bush's mistakes, but also have to live upto his message of hope. I was at a bookstore today, and they had an entire station dedicated to books by Obama, and the ones written on him. And, I saw a woman say to her toddler, "Look it's Obama. Can you say Obama?"

He has changed the way the world perceives politics and the US, and I believe he would be able to bring about the promised change.