I write poetry fairly often. I would consider myself a very mediocre poet, and my biggest flaw is that I lack variety. I cover a limited range of topics, mostly abstract themes or concrete imagery that is easily described, like nature. Nevertheless, here's my most recent poem that I quickly wrote over the weekend.
Running
You are running in circles
on crooked paths
in mysterious spaces.
Running a race against
time, life, society.
You are fleeing the scene
of pointless existence
and searching for another way.
You don't want to stop,
pace yourself, think.
You are running from
the confines of limitations,
empty dreams, fruitless priorities.
What will you find beyond
the grain of the ordinary?
You are afraid of the
challenges ahead.
You don't want to
throw caution to the wind.
You want to stop running,
to turn back and face reality.
But you keep running,
even if it leads to uncertainty.
You keep running, even though
you don't know where to go.
You keep running, even if
you can't run any further.
But why do you run if
you're running from the inevitable?
Maybe it's better to stand still.
~~~~~~~~~
Live-writing coming tomorrow.
Running
You are running in circles
on crooked paths
in mysterious spaces.
Running a race against
time, life, society.
You are fleeing the scene
of pointless existence
and searching for another way.
You don't want to stop,
pace yourself, think.
You are running from
the confines of limitations,
empty dreams, fruitless priorities.
What will you find beyond
the grain of the ordinary?
You are afraid of the
challenges ahead.
You don't want to
throw caution to the wind.
You want to stop running,
to turn back and face reality.
But you keep running,
even if it leads to uncertainty.
You keep running, even though
you don't know where to go.
You keep running, even if
you can't run any further.
But why do you run if
you're running from the inevitable?
Maybe it's better to stand still.
~~~~~~~~~
Live-writing coming tomorrow.
3 comments:
You are not a mediocre poet! You got into First Draft, didn't you? And those were a very select few pieces.
I like the theme of this poem and how you conveyed it. The second person point of view works very well, and I like some of the phrases you use, like "empty dreams, fruitless priorities".
I like the imagery, especially in the first stanza.
I agree with Maria, you are not a medicore poet.
Thanks guys. I'm always too hard on myself and very known for it.
Post a Comment