Reel Brief: Coming Attractions 2009 (2)

Previously: Part 1
Shutter Island (Paramount)- 10/02
Shutter Island is the third Dennis Lehane novel to be adapted for the screen, this time by Laela Kalogridis. It follows an eerie plot involving two US marshals (Leonardo DiCaprio & Mark Ruffalo) investigating the escape of Rachel Solando (Emily Mortimer), a patient at Ashecliffe, an insane asylum on Shutter Island in remote Massachusetts.
<= The film seems to be advertised as a film noir-esque thriller, not the typical genre for the cast and director Martin Scorsese. Scorsese, who finally won his long overdue Best Director Oscar for 2006's The Departed, can once again showcase his mad cinematic skills, a welcome return for every moviegoer. I'm also looking forward to the vibrant cast, particularly the constantly underrated Ruffalo & Mortimer in their juicy roles.
Up (Disney/Pixar)- 5/29 [trailer]
Evidently, Pixar has a venerable track record of creating animated hits that always please: Toy Story, A Bug's Life, WALL•E, and my personal fave, Finding Nemo. Additionally, their films have won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature 4 times since the category was created in 2001. Now, the innovative studio has another family-friendly movie perfect for the summer. Up tells the story of 78 year old Carl Fredrickson, who finally realizes his dream of seeing the world by attaching thousands of balloons to his house and literally floating away. His plans take a turn when he finds 8 year old Russell hidden in his house. I've long grown out of kiddie movies, but Pixar's features appeal to all ages and are always worth their while.
Away We Go (Focus Features)- 6/05 [trailer]
From a screenplay written by bestselling authors Dave Eggers and Vendela Vida, this dramedy is about a couple (John Krasinski & Maya Rudolph) searching for the right place to settle down and raise their soon-to-be-born child. Sam Mendes adds to his unique filmography of suburban dissection (American Beauty & Revolutionary Road), mobsters (Road to Perdition), and wars (Jarhead) by shifting gears with what looks like a witty and heartwarming flick. And, our favorite Dunder Mifflin Scranton assistant regional manager Krasinski and versatile SNL alum Rudolph could potentially jump-start their fledgling movie careers with their first leading roles.
Taking Woodstock (Focus Features)- 8/14 [trailer]
The films of Ang Lee show a vast range of eccentricities, so it's no surprise that the Brokeback Mountain director has now chosen to tackle the subject of the Woodstock Festival, the arts and music gathering that remains one of the symbols of tumultuous 1960s Americana. The film follows Elliot Tiber (Demetri Martin), one of Woodstock's key organizers. Based on a true story, Lee regular James Schamus adapted the film from Tiber's autobiography of the same name. Martin is an interesting casting choice, seeing as that he is a comedian best known for his work as Senior Youth Correspondent on The Daily Show. He is joined by an impressive supporting cast that includes Imelda Staunton as his mother and Emile Hirsch as a soldier recently returned from Vietnam. A whole host of other actors play addtional characters who shaped Tiber and the Woodstock landscape.
An Education (Sony Pictures Classics)- Oct.
British newcomer Carey Mulligan stars in this coming-of-age indie about a naïve Londoner swept off her feet by a charming playboy (Peter Sarsgaard). The flick, directed by Danish director Lone Scherfig and written by novelist Nick Hornby (About a Boy, High Fidelity), won the Audience Award at this year's Sundance Film Festival and has been riding on a lot of buzz ever since. If the buzz can last until December, look for it on the grueling awards circuit. In particular, Mulligan has received praise for her performance, and crazy Oscar pundits are already predicting a lot of traction for her in the Best Actress race.

7 comments:

Zany said...

I was hoping you would include "Up" in your list :).

Maria Sondule said...

I still haven't seen Brokeback Mountain. Thanks for reminding me, I'll have to rent it this summer.
An Education sounds interesting, but I bet I won't be allowed to watch it.

Stefany said...

I'm pretty excited to see Shutter Island, since I LOVE Scorsese. And Dennis Lehane is great as well... Gone Baby Gone and Mystic River were fabulous.

I'm also VERY excited to see Taking Woodstock... I love films that take place in the 1960's. And Emile Hirsch being in it makes me want to see it THAT much more... I just can't get enough of him!

Stefany said...

By the way, have you checked out the film Sunshine Cleaning? I heard it's similar to Little Miss Sunshine (loved it) since the producers are the same... I think it was released last month, but I haven't seen it shown anywhere...

Stefany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stefany said...

Thanks for the comment regarding Milk...

Yes, I wish more people would give this film a chance... The only reason I didn't want to see it was b/c I didn't think it would live up to my expectations. So much Oscar buzz and what not. I'm the hippie of the family-- minus the drugs-- and accept all people... Heck, my best friend is a bisexual Wiccan!

Any way, my dad didn't want to see the film AT ALL, and my mom laughed during intimate scenes... I asked her if she would have supported Harvey Milk, and she flat out said, "no."

Sigh... It's so frustrating when you can't change the minds of other people...

P.S. That was me who deleated the last comment... there was a typo and it was driving me crazy!

Anonymous said...

i was just waiting for you to talk about an education! i loved about a boy, so i was wondering how this would be.

also, yay for pixar! http://n1.cdn.spikedhumor.com/1/697000/178850_pixarvsdreamworks_1.jpg