The Week in Links

As usual, there's not much going on in my mundane life besides the usual high school summer busyness. Busy and summer probably shouldn't go together, but I don't have a choice. I'm packing for camp: two weeks of intensive forensics in humid D.C. I'll try to update as much as I can; it should be a rewarding experience. In the meantime, I hope you guys are enjoying your vacations; I'm assuming that's where all of you are. (Aah, my nearly nonexistent readership is shrinking even further! ;D)
Bringing back the link list to recap the week:
• MJ overload: I watched some of the memorial service and thought that it was an appropriate and moving sendoff for the King of Pop. Tuesday was focused solely on the man and his music, not the man and his controversies, a welcome relief. But, it all comes with a price: The memorial cost L.A. an estimated $1.4 million, and amid California's budget crisis, civilians may have to foot the bill.
Lately, I've been thinking about us '90s kids, who grew up hearing about his nosejobs and child molestation trials and never got to experience the impact of his music. I have vivid memories of those headlines, which gave me a negative impression of someone still so revered across the globe. I partially understand the reasons for the idolatry, but he remains a man shrouded in mystery. [/moment of introspection]
It's not over yet!! The media is still buzzing nonstop about all things Michael Jackson. Drug addiction, alleged family intervention, where to bury him, his dermatologist supposedly the father of his children (and probably responsible for his bleach-white skin): You name it, they've got it. People are getting carried away, as Gail Collins writes in her latest Op/Ed piece. In related news, behold the Jackson Cheeto.
• Potter Anticipation: The Gang of Three and Potterheads brave torrential rain to attend the London premiere. Unfortunately, I will not have time to see the latest installment, but it's common knowledge that the series has declined in cinematic quality with each subsequent release. Even during my Potter craze back in the day—I remember having a slew of Potter-related websites favorited—I was quick to criticize the limits of each film adaptation. Anyway, those of you who do get the chance to see it, let me know how it fares.
• Once again, strife in China: NYT profiles one family stuck in the midst of the Uighur/Han clashes, yet another ethnic conflict involving China's minority groups. Of course, this means tougher crackdowns on social media and even more human rights restrictions from the Chinese government. They've banned Facebook and shut down Uighur Muslim mosques. Here's what the US should do about it.
• Eloquent Brits wrap up Wimbledon: I don't mean to rip on him, but I'm officially sick of Roger Federer. Sure, he's the greatest tennis player of all time. There's no need for hyper-analysis. (Or maybe I've been watching too much Sports Center.) On the flip side, the Brits, who, just a week ago, had their entire nation's hopes obliterated by Andy Roddick, eloquently praise his fighting spirit in the epic final. After watching many Roddick matches over the years, I'm convinced it may just be bad karma that stands between him and the Wimbledon championship or any Grand Slam for that matter. It's unfortunate that he lives in the era of the greatest tennis player ever. Nevertheless, I hope he comes back strong and kicks some ass at the US Open.
• This woman will not go away anytime soon. Only the future will tell what kind of grand scheme she's planning. (World conquest? Cribs: Wasilla Edition? Guest starring on 30 Rock? Rush Limbaugh's alter ego?) Btw, if you haven't already, read this Vanity Fair feature on Palin. It provides some compelling insight and the juicy details of the behind-the-scenes power struggle during the McCain campaign. 'Nuff said.
On the road again in T-minus 38 hours...

1 comments:

Maria Sondule said...

Have a good time!!!